Did you know that not servicing your HVAC system puts your family and home in danger? Many things could go wrong if you do not service your heating and air conditioning system. From increased heating and cooling energy bills, increased rate of wear and tear, and lower indoor air quality to a lot of noise and reduced efficiency of your air conditioner, the effects of failure to have an AC repair company in Mohave Valley, AZ service the heating and AC system are many. However, this effect on your safety is one of the most consequential. Failure to service an air conditioner jeopardizes your and your family’s health, not forgetting the impacts on your home. Hence, you should meticulously follow an air conditioning service routine to prevent those dangers and leave your home operating efficiently. In this article, you will learn of the safety dangers of not servicing your heating and air conditioning system, including:
Is your furnace gas-powered? Most furnaces use natural gas or propane to heat the indoor air. When these gases burn entirely, they are perfectly safe. However, they are not eco-friendly. But what happens if there is incomplete fuel combustion in your HVAC system? Well, that is where the problem lies—incomplete combustion of fuel results in the production of the deadly carbon monoxide. If inhaled, it can be fatal. For this reason, it is recommended that if you notice signs of incomplete combustion in your furnace, such as soot, yellow flame, or a lot of condensation on your unit, have it inspected by an AC repair company.
Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless. This means detecting it is virtually only possible if you have installed carbon monoxide detectors. These properties are what worsen the effects of this gas. But what causes incomplete combustion in a furnace? This mostly happens when there are no sufficient combustion gases like oxygen in the heat exchanger. This can also arise if the burners are dirty or damaged.
But a furnace is a closed system. How can carbon monoxide or other combustion products find their way into your home? Cracked heat exchangers, clogged or leaky exhaust flue, or even leaking HVAC seams are some of the reasons the carbon monoxide resulting from incomplete combustion might find its way into your home. However, these are problems that can be averted by enlisting an AC repair company for an air conditioning service. An AC repair company can detect developing issues and take the appropriate actions to avert the deadly risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
These dangers are related to increased humidity in your home. Besides cooling or heating the indoor air, the HVAC system also has another silent but essential function, regulating the humidity levels at your home. However, this can only happen if an AC repair Company properly services the unit.
If the humidity at your home increases, your health will be in danger. High levels of humidity create favorable conditions for mold growth. Hence, you might start smelling a musty odor at your home. Mold is a fungus that has many effects when inhaled. Mainly, it will cause allergic reactions such as runny nose, coughing, itching, difficulty breathing, fatigue, headache, watery eyes, and sneezing. Extremely high humidity levels can also cause sinus infections, rotting of your furniture, and an unending musty smell. If you have noticed that even with regular air conditioning service, there’s high humidity, it might be time to have an AC repair company in Mohave Valley, AZ, install a dehumidifier.
Low humidity can result in dry skin, hair, lips, chapping and itching, itchy noses and throats, and static electricity. The mucus membranes in your throat and nose become dry, making your home uncomfortable and increasing your susceptibility to respiratory illnesses and colds. Do you feel that your home has low indoor humidity? You should have an AC repair company pair your HVAC system with a humidifier.
One of the direct consequences of not servicing your HVAC system is that it could result in electrical or gas fires. Your HVAC system may be gas or electric-powered. Not having an air conditioning service means the unit will deteriorate faster than you could have thought. The wire insulation may be eaten up by rodents, exposing your unit to short-circuiting. These might spark an electrical fire. A furnace has a component called the flame rollout sensor. If this component is damaged and not replaced or repaired on time by an AC repair company in Mohave Valley, AZ, the flame in your furnace might roll out, resulting in a fire.
Besides short-circuiting and flame rollout, HVAC fires can result from a cracked heat exchanger and overheating. If the furnace’s heat exchanger is cracked, the fire used for burning combustion gases might escape, exposing your home to the dangerous effects of a fire. Overheating resulting from a dirty HVAC system, faulty elements, refrigerant leaks, and clogged air filters also could result in an HVAC fire. Hence, an AC repair company’s air conditioning service is critical to prevent this. Fire can decimate your home in minutes.
The other impact of failure to service your heating and air conditioning system is that you will have a reduced IAQ. When this happens, you and your family are exposed to various respiratory illnesses and discomforts. The presence of contaminants like VOCs, mold, pet dander, foul smells, and pollen, and either low or high humidity can impact IAQ. The dangers of reduced IAQ mainly have to do with your respiratory health. An air conditioning service from your trusted AC repair company will ensure that the filters and ducts are clean, preventing any harm to the IAQ.
Do you need air conditioning maintenance to avert the dangers above? Contact us today at Pitzer’s One Hour Air Conditioning & Heating of Mohave County.